Today’s show will be an eye opener since you will get a deep, deep dive into the vape market overseas, specifically China. See the long list of topics we covered below.
David Ettinger is a partner with the Keller and Heckman law firm in Washington DC, and he’s lived in Shanghai for 4 years and follows the market there every day.
There was so much information to cover that I asked him to keep going and we’d create a Part II and that’s what we did. This is part I, which speaks to the Chinese market primarily. VAPE radio show #86, which follows, expands into Japan, Korea, the Philippines, Malaysia, Australia, Russia and other areas as well.
What you’ll hear today:
- The Shanghai office has been open since 2004; David has been there since 2012
- His background is in FOOD law and e-cigs and vaping was a necessary next step
- Quality control and regulations for e-cigs and vapor in China are lacking…
- The tobacco industry in China is a monopoly, run by the STMA and China National Tobacco Company (CNTC)
- They have complete authority to regulate production, sales, import, export, etc…
- China will be the largest economy in the world by 2018; 6% of their revenue is from tobacco taxation
- 350M smokers, 1 trillion cigarettes smoked annually in China
- Each province in China (about 34) has it’s own BRAND, overseen by the CNTC
- 7 of the top 10 brands worldwide are included in that list
- WHAT that that monopoly controls is a big subject. Currently it does NOT include e-cigs, devices, juices, etc… They are outside their control. For now.
- One 5 sq. mile area of Shenzhen (near Hong Kong) has 600 e-cig producers, plus others than supply components and accessories. There is NO regulation of these “factories” which may be just a garage.
- 95% of all e-cig products are manufactured there
- There is minimal to no quality control and some things, like paint, may contain heavy metals or contaminants
- This lack of QC may be behind many issues here in the US, but 5 years from now it will be more regulated
- The “definition” of tobacco in China may be expanded and include vape companies. Many will close.
- Who is the “average” Chinese smoker? Because smoking is part of their culture, children are exposed- and start- very young. 50% of all smokers worldwide, are in China. Smoking around the dinner table is normal
- Air quality in China is a major problem and smoking is contributing to health issues and early deaths. It is similar to US lack of regulations from the 1960s
- Cigarettes are cheap in China, about $1.00 US
- Most e-cigs are MADE in China, but few have been USED there. That is changing.
- The sheer number of Chinese consumers can make them a bigger player than many large US companies.
- Two years ago there were few vape shops in China, but they have increased and are impressive
- Is there a market in China for American products? Listen to David’s answer, but the next two years will tell the tale.
- CQ: Cultural Intelligence. KNOW IT and understand it.
For information on our FREE FDA mini course:
Would you like to get your product, service or message in front of our targeted vaping audience?
Vape Radio is the largest vape radio show in the world with more than 1.3 million downloads since 2014, and one of the TOP TEN business podcasts of 2015 on Podbean, beating out more than 130,000 other shows. For just $750 you get your company integrated within THREE shows and we’re looking for TWO more advertisers to fill our spots; how about you! Contact email@example.com.
That’s it for show #85, so until next time, Vape On!
Are you concerned about PMTA? Do you not have a juice line and want one? Level 13 offers you a turnkey program that can get your house brand on your shelves in just a few weeks.
A podcast is a free downloadable audio show that enables you to learn while you’re on the go. To subscribe to my podcast for free, you’ll need an app to listen to the show from.
For iPhone/iPad/iPod listeners – Grab your device of choice, hit iTunes, and find “VAPE Radio.” You can download the free Apple Podcasts App and subscribe within. Every time I produce a new episode, you’ll get it downloaded right on your iDevice.
For Android listeners – Download the Stitcher Radio app (free) and search for “VAPE Radio.”
For podcast lovers – If you already listen to podcasts and have a favorite directory that you are listening to right now, just hit the “subscribe” button and new shows will be added as we post them.
If you don’t have a mobile device – You can always listen to the show by clicking the audio file at the top of this page. Just bookmark us!
If you post a review we’ll send you a free digital copy of my book, Vapreneur!